Every now and then, we like to have a meatless-Monday to get more plant-based proteins in our diets. Lentils are high in fiber and protein and make for a wonderful meat-substitute. This is a recipe your family will love! (Recipe modified from TheFitchen.com)
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup dry red lentils
- 1/2 cup black beans, drained
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- green onions
Heat oil on medium heat in a large pot. Add the onion and sautè for 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and green pepper and sauté for another 3-5 minutes or until soft. Set aside.
Rinse the lentils in a strainer.
In a separate pot, combine the lentils with the water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 10-12 minutes. Drain water and set lentils aside.
Add lentils and black beans to the onion and pepper pot and combine over low/medium heat. Stir in tomato paste and seasonings.
In 4 bowls, arrange the lentils and top with favorite toppings. Enjoy!