How to Embrace the Benefits of Exercising (and stop viewing it as a way to “earn food”)
Exercising is fun… or at least it should be! Let’s change the narrative of exercise as “punishment” or a means to “earn food” — and start moving in a way that makes us feel GOOD.
Gone are the days when you try to out exercise a bad diet…or are they? Unfortunately our culture, and calorie counting and tracking devices have us hyper focused on calorie burn. We no longer select workouts that are fun, or geared toward reaching our goals, we just want our watch to show our high calorie burn.
Well, we are here to tell you that it’s time to shift your focus! We know that as a mom your time is more precious (and limited) than ever! So instead of focusing on that hour long calorie burning workout, we need to shift our focus to workouts that make us feel confident and strong.
Looking for a change? Check out our FREE 14 day Trial of daily 30 minute workouts and recipes!
First, why is exercising important for physical health?
- Prevents & manages health issues
- Helps with weight control
- Boosts energy levels
- Improves sleep quality
- Supports muscles and bones
Exercise and mental health: here are the benefits
- Boosts mood
- Reduces anxiety
- Produces feel-good hormones
- Boosts confidence
Thinking beyond “calories in, calories out” and the “calorie deficit”
While it is accurate to say that you must be in a calorie deficit to lose weight, calculating that deficit is quite hard and ever changing. Without elaborate technology, you can not determine your proper calorie balance which means that you can not really track the amount of calories you are consuming or burning. Plus as you lose weight, that calorie balance continues to change and if you do not adjust accordingly you start to plateau.
The Fit Mama In 30 approach takes calories into consideration, but it is not the method we use to help mamas reach their goals. We are focused on the types of foods you consume each day as well as the portion sizes of those foods. Our motto, “Stop Tracking, Start Living” says it all. As moms we do not have the time or energy to track every calorie that we consume or burn. Instead we are focused on making healthy choices and showing our kids that fitness is and can be a fun part of our daily routine.
think less calorie counting, more intuitive eating & moving
We know you are thinking, if I am not supposed to focus on calories, what should I focus on? Here are the top 5 things we recommend doing everyday.
- Eat protein with every meal and snack
- Drink ½ of your bodyweight in ounces of water
- Stop eating when you are 80% full
- Plan your meals and snacks for the entire day
- Get in a 30 minute strength based workout.
Metabolism boosting foods & exercises to keep in mind
- If you want to boost your metabolism, protein is the way to do it! Your body requires more energy to digest protein than any other macronutrient and can temporarily increase your metabolism by 20-30%. Looking for high protein options? We have you covered! Check out our turkey zucchini meatballs!
- As we stated earlier, we know that it is rewarding to see that high calorie burn come across your fitness watch after a killer cardio workout! (Hey we like a good cardio sweat session as well) However, did you know that strength training workouts actually translate to more calories burned?! Cardio workouts burn more calories during the workout session, but strength training workouts burn more calories throughout the day, well after your workout has ended.
But more than anything, find the fun in working out!
If you aren’t having fun during your workouts, it’s time to change it up! It’s time to stop focusing on calorie burn and working out to “earn a cupcake,” and time to start focusing on what you enjoy, what gets you results and is something you can see yourself doing for years to come.
Stop Tracking, Start Living!
Learn more about our 30-minute workout program!