Can you lose weight and still drink alcohol during the holidays? Asking for a friend…
Beating holiday weight gain while enjoying a cocktail (or two) is possible!
Here are simple tips to help you find a happy and healthy balance!
We all have different opinions when it comes to alcohol consumption. Whether you choose to drink regularly, occasionally, or not at all, we want to encourage you to approach alcohol consumption like you would nutrition and fitness…with a healthy mindset and science based understanding.
Alcohol is usually a staple in social situations and especially during the holidays. If having a few drinks is something you enjoy, then there is no reason why you shouldn’t! You can still live a healthy lifestyle and maybe even make progress without giving up your vodka martini. 😉
While most people think it’s mainly the calories in alcohol that can cause us to gain weight, especially over the holidays, the truth is your body considers alcohol a toxin.
When you consume alcohol, your body prioritizes metabolizing it as quickly as possible, which means that other functions, like fat loss come to a halt. This fat burning hiatus varies depending on your metabolism but typically can last from 2-12 hours (or longer).
Calories and alcohol: from red wine to whiskey
As you know, calories do matter. So while we definitely do not encourage you to track every bite of food that goes into your mouth, if fat loss is your goal, then you do have to be aware of the amount of food/drinks you are consuming each day. Check out the calories below in some of the most popular alcoholic drinks.
- 5 ounces of White Wine- 120 calories
- 5 ounces of Red Wine- 125 Calories
- 12 ounces of Beer – 150 Calories
- 12 ounces of Light Beer- 100 Calories
- 1.5 ounces Liquor Calories- 100 Calories
Tips to avoid weight gain with Christmas drinking
To keep alcohol from slowing down your active and healthy lifestyle, here are a few tips to help you navigate your holiday season.
- Do drink in moderation
- Try to stick to 1-2 drinks and spread those drinks out over the course of a few hours.
- Don’t skip meals
- Try not to “bank” all of your calories for beverages at your social outing. Ideally you would eat lean proteins and vegetables during the day. This will keep you feeling fuller so you are less likely to binge eat while drinking.
- Do be conscious of what’s in your drink
- Be aware of the traditional holiday drinks like eggnogs, cream drinks and mixed drinks made with sugar. The calories in these types of drinks can add up quickly! However, if you are sticking to 1-2 drinks there is nothing wrong with enjoying a little holiday cheer. 🙂
- Don’t forget to drink water
- Make sure you aren’t only consuming alcoholic beverages! Sip on water while drinking, or even alternate between alcoholic drinks and glasses of water to keep your body from becoming dehydrated.
- Do enjoy yourself without feeling guilty!
- At the end of the day, a few drinks will not ruin your healthy lifestyle. Part of living a healthy lifestyle is enjoying the things you love without the guilt.
Healthy(ish) low calorie/low sugar alcohol drink recipes
We know there are several low calorie, low sugar drink recipes available during this time of year, but to be honest, we don’t recommend them. When you create “low calorie” drinks, it tends to encourage binge drinking. The whole idea of living a healthy lifestyle is being able to truly enjoy a few treats every now and then. So keep it to 1-2 drinks and enjoy the “real” versions.
Stay active! Do-anywhere Christmas workouts for busy moms
One of the most important things you can do this holiday season is stay active! We know, a lot easier said than done, especially in this COVID season of life. During November and December it’s easy to fall out of healthy habits due to busy schedules and holiday events.
One of the main reasons people gain weight during the holidays is not necessarily because of over-eating and drinking at events but because they stop their exercise routines and healthy eating patterns during the week. The best thing you can do is maintain a consistent healthy routine.
Looking for an easy, at-home solution for workouts and meal planning? Check out the Fit Mama In 30 program! Daily 30 minute workouts, and 30 minute meals…it’s all planned out for you. Check out our 14 Day FREE Trial!
Got a holiday hangover? Here are more self-care tips to bounce back from all the food, drinking, and shopping stress.
- Yes, you read that correctly. After months full of shopping, eating, doing and seeing, it’s time to stop and breathe. Take a few moments to just BE instead of racing around and checking off To-Do items.
Get Back Into a Healthy Routine
- If you fell off the healthy lifestyle wagon, jump back on! Getting into a routine of healthy eating, daily workouts and proper hydration can work wonders for your mood, energy levels and overall mindset.
Want some help getting back into a healthy routine? Check out our 14 Day FREE Trial!